Thursday, December 27, 2007

Thousand Cranes

Yasunari Kawabata’s book Thousand Cranes translated by Edward Seidensticker reads like a fleshed out poem. This is a story of a man (Kikuji) and his relationships with his deceased father and his father’s two mistresses. It is a delicately told tale illuminating human relations, a tale that can be transferred to a global stage.

I read this as part of the Japanese Literature Challenge, and it is a great addition to my literary knowledge.

If you are fortunate enough to read Japanese, there is the original version. This novel was apparently first released in serial version.

Kikuji’s story revolves around the tea ceremony that his father so loved. The clothes that characters wear as well as their choice of words give insight into their universal characters. In Thousand Cranes, small details are of large import, as they are in a tea ceremony.

Nobel prize winning
Kawabata’s style is very poetic in the sense that each word, each sentence means much more than its first-layer reading tells. This is a book to read in small doses so that you can have time to think about what you have read before moving on.

Thousand Cranes ends with unresolved issues that touch all of the characters.

Labels: , , , ,

4 comment(s):

Oh, I really want to read this. Combined with Snow Country, and your review, Kawabata seems like a fantastic author. I have Snow on Mt. Fuji as one of my three picks, but I'm not feeling I have the time I need to read. Christmas break is turning out to be more chaotic than peaceful!

By Blogger Bellezza , at 7:01 PM  

I have Snow Country on my to be read list as well after reading the great reviews. Why don't we have 5 extra hours each day to read?

By Blogger reader kay, at 1:46 PM  

I thought about this one and may read it on my own, challenge or no. I enjoyed Snow Country a great deal and you make Thousand Cranes sound as beautifully written as it was.

cjh

By Blogger CJ, at 9:40 AM  

5 extra hours a day just to read would be fantastic! I'm definitely going to have to get Thousand Cranes sometime soon. The fact that it's based on the tea ceremony intrigues me.

By Blogger tanabata, at 11:05 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home