Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Fledgling

Fledgling by Octavia Butler is really a fast and exciting read. It is the story of a young one, Shori who looses her family and is forced to build herself a new family.

It is a vampire story.

If I had known it was a vampire story before I started reading it, I would not have started. I am glad that I did not, for it is a great story and I would have missed out. I started it because it was written by Octavia Butler, an author that I have read a lot of. She is truly a great story teller.

In this story, the vampires call themselves Ina, and they separate themselves by sex. They live in family compounds and have harmonious relations with humans.

Fledgling is an action novel with strong community roots. It is a book that explores some of our human moral dilemmas by clothing them in a fictional world of vampires. Shori the young girl/vampire wakes and found she has lost everything (including most of her history) and everyone, so she makes a community for herself as she learns about who she is and the world around her.

Labels: , , ,

1 comment(s):

I have read and enjoyed many of Octavia Butler's books, but I haven't read this one - it sounds good! I will definitely be checking it out. Thanks for the review!

By Blogger Jill, at 7:03 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home