Friday, January 04, 2008

The Samurai's Garden

The novel The Samurai’s Garden (1994) by Gail Tsukiyama is an engaging story of a young boy and four friends who become a part of his life. The story is set between Japan and China directly before WWII. In this story, humanity and respect take precedence over cultural differences. I read this as part of Dolce Bellezza’s Japanese Literature Challenge.

Sick with tuberculosis, the young Chinese protagonist, Stephen, is sent from Hong Kong to recuperate at the family’s seaside summer home in Tarumi, Japan. In Tarumi, Stephen is able to experience a quiet that allows him to express himself and appreciate the people around him more fully than he had done in the past. Here he is given the time to appreciate people and surroundings for more than their surface beauty and to think more deeply about things.

Tsukiyama’s style flows very easily to this reader’s mind. Written in English, there was no loss of poetry or meaning lost to me in translation, yet at the same time I sensed that Tsukiyama had a strong grasp of the cultural sensibilities of each country she wrote about in the novel.

Labels: , ,

3 comment(s):

Gail Tsukiyami is a new author for me, I just finished her newly released Street of A Thousand Blossoms. I completely agree with you about how her writing style flows. She was much easier for me to understand than Murikami, or Kawabata's short stories. It looks like the book you read by her is as good as the one I enjoyed. You must be finished, or almost, with the challenge by now!

By Blogger Bellezza , at 7:59 PM  

Bellezza, I have fallen hard for this author, and will likely read all of her books if I can get my hands on them. Thank you for starting this challenge.

By Blogger reader kay, at 7:36 PM  

I enjoyed this too when I read it a few years ago. But I haven't read anything else by her for some reason. Too many other books vying for attention I guess.

By Blogger tanabata, at 11:07 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home